I was never much of an oatmeal-eater before going paleo; unless, of course it was drowning in brown sugar. But really, who doesn’t love anything that’s drowning in sugar?
When I switched over to paleo, I said goodbye to the oatmeal and cereal for breakfast and hello to eggs and smoothies, but after a while, almost the same thing every day got pretty boring. That’s when I started to research some good breakfast recipes and I found a lot of “NOatmeal” recipes floating around on the internet.
I have lots of tried and loved recipes that I have found, but a lot of “NOatmeal” recipes have a base of nuts and aren’t as high in protein as I would like them to be. That’s why I came up with this recipe! The base of this “NOatmeal” is egg whites and berries, which sounds like an odd combo, but when cooked together, makes for a “berry” delicious breakfast! ;)
¾ cup liquid egg whites
1 cup strawberries
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup almond milk
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. ground flax seed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. SunButter or any nut butter, for topping (optional, but when is nut butter ever optional ;))
1. Mash your berries. (I like to use a blender or food processor for this step)
2. In a bowl, combine egg whites and almond milk.
3. Add your mashed berries, flax seed, and cinnamon to the egg white/almond milk mixture and combine well.
4. Over a low-medium heat, add your “NOatmeal” mixture to a small pan.
5. Stir occasionally. You will know your “NOatmeal” is done when it looks like fluffy and runny scrambled eggs.
6. Pour into a bowl, top with nut butter or any other desired toppings and enjoy!
Question of the Day: “What do you eat for breakfast?”
~ Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I tend to like naturally-sweet breakfast over savory ones, so I usually eat “NOatmeals”, protein shakes, mug muffins, paleo granola “power bowls” (recipes to come!), etc.