I’m going to let you all in on one little fact about me: I HATE pizza! Call me crazy, but I just don’t like it. When I was in 4th and 5th grade, I went to a private school. I ordered school lunches, and on Mondays and Fridays we had pizza. Every week. For two years. On “field day,” we also had pizza, and then right after lunch we had to run laps outside in the burning heat. I’ll spare you the details of the rest of the story; as you can guess what happened. To this day, the smell of traditional pizza (especially from the pizza from the shop our school ordered it from) makes me nauseous.
But really, I do not understand why people rave about pizza so much anyway-it’s just bread, sauce, and cheese. Not only is it very plain and bland, but the typical pizza is also completely nutritionally deficient.
Despite the fact that I hate pizza, I made up this recipe to please all you who do like pizza, so you better be happy gosh darn-it😉
But I will admit; I really do like this BBQ chicken pizza. The crust is a mix of almond flour and tapioca, which makes it fluffy and chewy, just like the traditional, white pizza crust that most people are used to. The simple BBQ chicken is sweet and delicious, and makes for the perfect pizza topping.
There is a restaurant near our ski cabin in West Virginia called Deerfield that is said to make the best pizza, specifically a BBQ chicken pizza. When my brother tried my recipe, he said it tasted ALMOST as good as the one at Deerfield, and continued to eat five pieces.
I’m guessing he liked it.
Serves 10; 10 slices (may vary depending on how big you cut your pieces.)
Note: I used a 17.25 x 11.5 x 1 inch greased cookie sheet for my pizza. If you prefer a round pizza, just use a pizza pan and half the recipe
For the Crust:
2 ½ cup almond flour
1 ½ cup tapioca flour/starch
3 egg whites
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. dried oregano, or 1 tbsp. fresh, finely chopped
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. sea salt
For the BBQ Chicken Topping:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 ¾ cup homemade or clean, store-bought BBQ sauce (I like to use “Bone Suckin’ Sauce,” which is junk-free and surprisingly, I bought mine at Cracker Barrel)
¼ cup chicken broth
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. smoked paprika (regular paprika may also work)
½ tsp garlic powder
1. Boil and shred your chicken breasts.
2. Preheat your oven to 425°.
3. Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, oregano, garlic powder, and sea salt in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk your eggs and add in the water.
5. In a standing mixer or using a hand mixer, combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
6. Mix until everything is combined well. The mixture should like a sticky and batter, not a thick dough.
7. Grease your cookie sheet or pizza pan with coconut oil.
8. Spread the pizza crust “batter” evenly on your pan.
9. Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is firm.
10. Heat a small amount of oil to a large skillet and add your diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until translucent.
11. Add your shredded chicken to the skillet, as well as 1 ½ cups of BBQ sauce, chicken broth, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Stir to combine, but do not heat.
12. Remove your pizza crust from the oven.
13. Add the BBQ chicken mixture to the top of the pizza crust, and drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup of BBQ sauce.
14. Put pizza back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
15. Ta-da! You just made your very own, deliciously-healthy pizza for you and your family!
16. Put a movie in and enjoy that darn pizza.
Question of the Day: “Do you like pizza? If so, what toppings do you like on your pizza?”